Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 1995 18:13:08 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install -- SCSI geometry incorrect (was OK before!)

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:50:13 -0700, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> said:

Justin> You should use the Adaptec translated geometry for the disc:
Justin> (64 heads, 32 sectors/track, #MB on the drive cylinders)
Justin> standard, (255,63, #MB/7) if you have extended translation
Justin> enabled.  The best way to make this happen is to make a small
Justin> dos partition on the disk that you can either leave or blow
Justin> away during the FreeBSD install.  FreeBSD will pull the proper
Justin> geometry out of the DOS partion so you don't have to enter it
Justin> manually.

Uh, how do I put a MS-DOG partition on if I'm only running FreeBSD?

It's a Seagate ST31200N 1006MB, by the way, if anyone's got numbers
handy.

PS: how does it `know' my geometry's bad? and why doesn't it tell me
    the right geom if it's so smart? :-(