Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 1995 12:42:26 -0500
From:      "J. Kodadek" <jkodadek@winternet.com>
To:        install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation woes, part 2

I posted this a few days ago on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, and someone
suggested I forward it to install@freebsd.org, so...

: Ok, I posted a few days ago, but my post seems to have disappeared. Also,
: if you read this, Jordan, I sent you a much more specific email a few
: days ago but haven't gotten a response (I probably messed up, though).
: So, I will start again.

: I have a brand new Dell Dimension P75 with IDE controller built into the
: motherboard, I can't find any other info on it.  The drive is a Quantum
: Fireball 1080A.  I have a ~350M dos partition at the beginning of the
: disk (according to dos fdisk anyways.)  I have the files from the 2.0.5R
: cdrom copied to this partition (bin, xf86311, manpages, etc).

: I can use the boot disk and get through the installation menus and
: everything fine, but when I do "Commit", I get the following error:

: Failed to load the ROOT distribution. Please correct this problem and try
: again.

: I was told this probably a disk geometry problem, so I checked the real
: geometry.  The label on the disk and pfdisk both say it's 2112/16/53.
: The FreeBSD fdisk thinks it's 528/64/63.  When I tried to change it in
: FreeBSDs fdisk to the correct settings, here is what I try to do with the
: partition table and the error I get:

: Disk name: wd0
: Bios Geom: 2112/16/53

:    Offset     Size       End   Name    Ptype   Desc   Subtype  Flags
:
:         0       63        62     -     6       unused    0
:        63   717633    717695   wd0s1   2       fat       6
:    717696  1410784   2128479   wd0s2   3       freebsd  165      C
:   2128480      416   2128895     -     6       unused    0

: --------------------------------Message-------------------------------
:  chunk 'wd0s1' [63...717695] does not start on a track boundary.
:  chunk 'wd0s2' [717696...2128479] does not start on a track boundary.

: If I confirm and go ahead and try to install from here, it messes up my
: dos partition and it still does not install FreeBSD.  I'd appreciate some
: help so I can give FreeBSD a try on a real system and decide if I want to
: keep it over Linux.  Thanks.

: P.S.: regarding the first error, YES, the root.flp IS in the correct
: place.

: jess kodadek
: jkodadek@winternet.com