Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:55:21 -0800
From:      dale@northcoast.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP setup trouble

Hi,

I recently installed FreeBSD and I'm trying to get it connected to the
Internet via PPP connection to my provider.  I created the files in
/etc/ppp as described in ppp.FAQ for PPP client setup.  My
SupraFAXmodem V.32bis is connected to COM1 (/dev/tty00).

When I run /etc/ppp/pppup, I get 2 lines of ioctl error messages about
"device not found" (or some such) and nothing happens.  I went into
kermit manually and tried to "SET LINE /dev/tty00" and got stuck, but
pressing ctrl-C got me out and I was then able to CONNECT and interact
with my modem.

I don't have much confidence in the way I did the network part of my
installation.  I don't if that's causing me trouble here.

One FAQ I read said to add the user login that was going to use ppp to
the dialer group.  I can't figure out how to set additional groups for
a user beyond the one group specified in chpass.  ...So I've had to do
my experimentation logged in as root.

Also, I've been unable to "su root" from my user login even though I
created it in group 0 (wheel).

Thank you.