Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 17:57:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some serious problems with telnet in FreeBSD 2.0.5 R ... more

Seppo Kallio stands accused of saying:

> The commercial software is called "PCTCP Software" (not TCP Software):

It's actually PC/TCP by FTP Software.

>   - I cannot understand why Linux does not care if Enter == cr+lf or cr
>     I can change the setting in a emacs session an it has no effect.
>     But FreeBSD does not work correctly with cr+lf or with cr

This is due to broken telnet option negotiation.  Everyone else does the
'old' style, FreeBSD does things a little differently, and some telnet's
just can't handle it.  Read the telnet/telnetd source for hard details,
it's a while since I had to look at it.  It's arguable as to who's broken
here; FreeBSD for being different, or the telnet implementations for not
doing the negotiations right.

> The WinQVT/Net software seems to work fine.

QVT is very nice; I would expect them to have it right.

> More problems in Macintosh NCSA Telnet 2.6 and DOS NCSA Telnet
>
>  - in emacs Control-X Control-C seems to be same as Control-X Control-G.
>    Control-C alone is acting like Control-G: it beeps.
>    Control-C is showing C-c on the last line of emacs screen,
>    but why beep?
>    ** This is not the problem with "setup keys"! I have dissabled
>    Interrupt Process! **

Check your termcap entries; use 'cat -vet' to check that things are coming
through as anticipated.  I suspect that NCSA is broken here.

>  - in pine  Control-Z  and after fg it returns
>    to pine with redrawing the screen as it should.
>    What is the difference between pine (pico) and emacs+vi?
>    Why pico is making it correctly but emacs is not?

Emacs depends _very_ heavily on your termcap being accurate, as it performs
lots of screen optimisations.  Pico is much more conservative.  I suspect
that NCSA are broken here as well - does QVT have the same problem?

>  - I have no problems with NCSA Telnet if I first login to
>    some other node (Linux, SunOS) and then make telnet into the
>    FreeBSD node. Only a direct NCSA Telnet into the FreeBSD node
>    dees not work.

This may be related to the location of the raw/cooked handling.  I can't
offer any advice here 8(

> One more question: Whereis terminfo? Man terminfo is saying
> /usr/lib/terminfo but that is not correct. Is there terminfo in FreBSD?

Try 'locate terminfo'

> Seppo

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[