Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 1995 14:16:22 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do we *really* need logger(1)?

Dear Paul,

#   Comments?
#
# no, no, No, NO.....NO!!!!!!!!!
#
# Don't duplicate effort with half-assed schemes that make local assumptions.
#
# Don't confuse authentication with authorization.
        ^^^^^^^
        	intermix, better to say?

# There are already kerberos patches available for syslogd to do the
# right thing.

	Agreed, 100 hundred times agreed. This is The Best Solution (tm)
	because of many issues, like interoperability, design, etc...
	But: where is FreeBSD Kerberos port for us to use, for example,
	in Europe?

	The second. Does the kerberized version of syslog support
	any kind of fault-tolerant message delivery? (I don't know much
	about Kerberos stuff :( )

	And we need a facility to do cross-host
	logging _today_, and for sensitive information, too.
	Please, I'll be very grateful if someone will give me a
	pointer to some ready-to-use solution. My own desire to
	rewrite syslogd+syslog() (means: to invent another incompatible
	bicycle with square wheels :)   from scratch is not too strong.

--

	With best regards -- Andrew Stesin.

	+380 (44) 2760188	+380 (44) 2713457	+380 (44) 2713560