Date:      Mon, 13 May 96 01:02:38 EDT
From:      gtc@aloft.att.com (gary.corcoran)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, smatthew@ccnet.com
Subject:   Re:  Motherboards

Scott,

If you don't mind paying a little more to get a good quality motherboard,
look at what AMI (American Megatrends Inc.) has to offer.  Their motherboards
are made in America, are good quality, and they support them.  And yes,
they are the same folks that bring you the AMI BIOS used by so many
motherboard makers.

I have two AMI motherboards, and have never had a hardware problem (e.g
a board that wouldn't work) with them.  My Pentium motherboard (which runs
FreeBSD) is an AMI Titan II EISA/PCI motherboard.  It supports dual Pentiums,
though I only have one installed.  By now, however, this board is "old" (a
year or so...) ;-} :-(  and since it has many slots (6 EISA + 4 PCI with none
overlapped) you need a special "server" 12-slot case to hold it.

However, I understand that they now have newer boards with 4 EISA or ISA
+ 4 PCI slots that fit in a standard case and feature the newer faster
Pentiums.  So you might want to check out exactly what AMI now offers...

Gary