Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:08:56 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        frankd@yoda.fdt.net (Frank Seltzer), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments wanted on new system

Hi Rod,  CC Hardware,
Reference:
> From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
> >
> > > I would highly recommend _not_ getting this board, it uses the Orion
> > > chipset, which is older and known to have certain bugs.  ASUS is now
>
> One more time....
> Chip sets belowing stepping B0 have a PCI bus mastering bug that prevents

Every time these pearls of wisdom come through I get a sinking feeling !
I know I'll never remember it all later when I may need it,
& I doubt it all gets in the FAQ.

One route to avoid some rogue hardware is to buy hardware via you :-)
... but after the European shippers & customs duties & banks have
become involved, USA imports get expensive.

Do you happen to keep a PC hardware notes file on the web ?
If so I'd suggest an HREF to it from the FAQ hardware section,
& I'd personally make a habit of keeping a local copy.  :-)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/