Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 23:27:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gregg Shapiro <gshapiro@mathcs.emory.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   automatically initiating apm and CPU idling questions

Hi:

I am running 2.1 on a Micron P166 mini-tower PC and am just about to
upgrade to 2.1.5.

My questions are:

1 - If I am running X, is there a way to initiate the APM functionality
automatically after say my X server places my monitor into suspend mode ?
Is this also possible if X is not running ?

I can manually run zzz to put the CPU into sleep mode, but it would be great
to do it automatically, (kinda like the way Windows 95 does it - sorry if
I offended anybody by mentioning a lesser OS)

2 - Is there anyway to enable CPU Idling ? I know my CPU and video hardware
support it because it works under Windows 95.  But when I boot FreeBSD, it says
that it is disabling CPU idling.

3 - Is there a way to automatically power off my PC after shutting down ?
I have a "soft ?" power button on my motherboard that, under WIN 95 will turn
off the power after exiting.

Thanks a lot,
Gregg

--