Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:12:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      ChingPing Chou <ccp@uw-isdl.ee.washington.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems to configure IDE cdrom and sound card drivers.

Hi there,

   I tried to reconfig my kernel to include IDE cdrom and sound card drivers.
So I edited MYKERNEL and recompile it followed the instructions described in
the /usr/share/doc/FAQ/*.html and handbook.*.html.

For the sound card:

After I reboot the system, it seemed to detect it and showed
"sb0 at 0x220 irq 9 drq 1 on isa"
"sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>"
However, after booting, I could not find it by running 'lsdev'. When I did
"sh MAKEDEV sb0", it responded "sb0 - no such device name".

For the IDE controller:

I have to mention that I ahve only a SCSI hard drive, and the IDE stuff never
worked before. My IDE is an onboard EIDE. I copy the port address and irq#
from Windows95's device manager.
When I reboot the system, it stucked about 30 second before and after probing
IDE controller and only showed
"wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa"
No cdrom was probed at all.
'lsdev' shows
"wdc0	Unknown 	ST506/ESDI/IDE disk controller"
Another thing I have to mention is that my onboard EIDE is on PCI bus, but
if I change "at isa?" to "at pci?" in MYKERNEL, the linking would be failed
with showing something like "xxx_wdc_xxx symble not found refered in text".

   Can anyone tell me what do I miss here? Thanks in advance.

Ching-Ping