Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 11:09:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Tomi Vainio <tomppa@fidata.fi>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cached port updated from 1.4pl0 to 1.4pl2

On Sat, 3 Feb 1996, Tomi Vainio wrote:

> Andreas Klemm writes:
>  >
>  > Here is the complete modified port. From the ChangeLog:
>  >
>  > Changes to the v1.4pl2 release (Jan 20, 1996):
>
> Hi!
>
> I have serious problems with cached 1.4pl2 and FreeBSD 2.1-stable.
> I can't access harvest web server so I need to find some place where
> to get help. How well you know this software? Could you help me?

cached is the *object cache* for a www server. It's not a WWW
server itself. Don't intermix it.

BTW: (Satoshi, huhu !!!! ;-) In the example config file I did a
little mistake, perhaps this prevents you to access your proxy
server.

ascii port has to be 8080 not 80.

#ascii_port 3128
ascii_port 8080

Otherwise you should tell me more about your configuration.
Another thing is... cached can be run in two operating modes:
a) as http accelerator, so that people can access _your_
   www server more quickly
b) as proxy cache, this makes your WWW accesses to the Internet
   more quickly.

My example config file is intended for usage b).

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm        ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de -