Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 01:07:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Rodney C. Forbes" <urcf@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI info needed.

	I am running FreeBSD 2.1-RELEASE on a 386/25 with 8MB RAM.  I
currently have a 540MB IDE harddrive split between DOS/WINDOWS and FreeBSD.
I have an Adaptec 152x SCSI-2 controller with an external SCSI-2 7 disk CDROM
changer.  This all works fine.
	I just ordered a 730MB harddrive and a Conner 1.35 GB 1/4" Anaconda
tape backup, both SCSI-2.  I would like to put FreeBSD on the SCSI harddrive
and let DOS have IDE.
	Now that I think I've covered the pertinent system specs, I have a
couple questions:

	1. What kind of problems would I be facing regarding using this SCSI
		controller/driver to run an all SCSI FreeBSD system?  If I
		will need to buy a bus-mastering SCSI controller, I can, but I
		would rather not right at this moment.  Is there an update to
		this driver that would allow me to utilize it's DMA features?

	2. I remember seeing messages in one of the mailing lists recently
		regarding a similiar tape backup unit, but could not find
		them in the FreeBSD archives. (Yes, I did look.  There are
		a whole lot of questions with the word "tape" in them.  More
		specific searches didn't come up with anything, so I made a
		last ditch effort that did not pay off.) What kind of trouble
		am I going to get into with this drive?  Does it work with
		FreeBSD?  I think someone was talking about using different
		cartridges other than the DC9135 that are supposed to be used
		in it.  What other cartridges will work?

	I kind of ordered these blind in the attempt to make my system more
usable, because I got a pretty good deal on both.  I was beginning to feel a
little cramped regarding drive space and Colorado Jumbo 250 floppy tape drives
suck.  If anyone could answer any or all of the above questions, I would
appreciate it.

TIA,
Rodney