Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 03:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        dror@hopf.dnai.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR info:747d9d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read ...other SCSI issues

 * I'd love using some kind of RAID solution. So far I haven't found anything
 * that I really like, and that has been tested. Are you using the mylex
 * RAID? I looked at it a while ago and it sounded like an interesting solution,
 * but I first wanted to hear about other people using it. I also understand
 * that there are some problems with the freebsd utilities handling
 * large (20 Gig and more) disks, they report negative sizes etc
 * (32 bit problem?).

This has been fixed in -current by Bruce Evans some time ago.  (I'd
bring in into -stable too if it's not soo deep in the kernel, but I'm
not much of a kernel hacker....)

 * I actually think that someone could make nice bucks, by putting together
 * a FreeBsd box with redundant Power supplies, fans, Scsi controllers etc
 * and make it a, relatively, cheap NFS appliance.

I'm working on a project doing just that (well, sort of).  We are
currently looking at FreeBSD as well as some other operating systems
(duh).

Right now we have the ccd driver doing striping and mirror (RAID0 and
RAID1 for you paper-types).  We are hoping to implement RAID4/5 parity
some time this summer.

Seems like you are in Berkeley too, maybe we can meet some time.  We
have enclosures with redundant power supply and such, it comes out to
about +30% of the disk cost to set up a 64GB NFS server with P5-133
with regular striping.

Satoshi