Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 08:25:58 +0200
From:      Norbert Bladt <abladtn@autelca.ascom.ch>
To:        gwk@cray.com
Cc:        gilles.tschopp@aletsch.esis.vsnet.ch, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use Syquest EZ-135 as backup drive ?

Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:

>     Gilles>  Hello, I'm an beginner of the Unix world. I would like to
>     Gilles> know how to manage backup of my FreeBSD system with the
>     Gilles> TAR command. I have a Syquest EZ-135 plugged on the SCSI
>     Gilles> subsystem. How to do ?
>     Gilles>
>     Gilles> A lot of thanks.
>     Gilles>
>     Gilles> Gilles Tschopp.
>     Gilles> ******************************************* Gilles
>     Gilles> Tschopp, Informaticien de gestion ES
>     Gilles> gilles.tschopp@esis.vsnet.ch http://icare.itech.ch
>     Gilles> http://esis.vsnet.ch http://www.vsnet.ch
>     Gilles> *******************************************
>     Gilles>
>     Gilles>
>
> Try
>         cd /someplace
This is OK.
>         tar cvfb /dev/rst0 126 somefiles
This is a bad idea and a wrong answer, too.
I think that the EZ-135 is not a tape drive and therefore it is
not detected as "rst0" !
Instead it will be some sort of harddisk.
Now, the problem is, giving a real step-by-step instruction for a
harddisk you don't know the name of, i.e. I can guess that it won't
be sd0, but what ?
Giving the wrong answer here will destroy the ifnormation on
any other disk.

OK. Now to my answer:

Because the EZ-135 is not a tape drive, tar (Tape ARchive) might not
be a good idea to use.
Why not just copy the files from your harddisk to this removable disk ?
As far as I know, there is an "-r" option to the copy command
to do the copy recursively, right ?
This could be done if you want to do a backup of your (the users) files.

On the other hand, if you want to do a multi-volume backup to several
of those disks, you might have to use GNU-tar with the "-M" option
and use the right devicename for the EZ-135 disk, which I can't
tell without seeing at least part of the boot sequence of your
system, sorry.
Giving the wrong answer here, would, as said before, destroy any
information on the wrong disk !

Regards,

Norbert.

--
Norbert Bladt		 Head System Software Development
ascom Autelca AG	 Payphone and Cashless Transaction Systems