Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 1996 00:03:44 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        scsi@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Adaptec EISA twin SCSI?

>Should I just copy the new aic7770.c into /sys/i386/isa and recompile? Or
>run the entire -stable kernel against my existing 2.1.5 install?  (I'm not
>sure how to do it, but I assume the latter would involve saving my kernel
>config file, nuking all of /sys, un-tarring some large file into /sys to
>replace the kernel source, and running through the usual kernel-building
>process....)
>
>--Brett

Have you ever used CVS?  Do you have disk space for a CVS tree?  If the
answer to at least the second question is "yes", you should probably be
CVSup'ing the CVS tree and using a checked out copy of stable for your server.

If you can't do that, copy the following files (once you see my commit mail
for the stable branch) into your source tree and recompile your kernel:

sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c
sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.h
sys/dev/aic7xxx/*
sys/i386/eisa/aic7770.c
sys/pci/aic7870.c
sys/scsi/scsi_message.h /* New file */

This *should* compile under 2.1.5, but no guarantees.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations