Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 19:08:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-R recommendations?

Heya folks,

I've got an HP-4020i running on a 486DX2 which in turn is running
2.2-960801-SNAP.  The SCSI card is an AHA-1542CP, as I recall.

We had to return the first HP because....well I never quite understood
why.  I dropped it into my Rgrimes P-133 RockChomperDeluxe and it also
failed so I decided the drive was faulty.  Returned it, Mr. Vendor
verified it wasn't working, sent me another one.

The next one worked for quite a while.  I don't actually know how many
CD's were burnt on it, but it's been going for at least 3 months or so I
believe.  But it's starting to do the same thing again -- acting like it's
getting buffer underruns.

There's nothing else running on that machine, so I'm beginning to think
the drive is headed for the dirt again.  Since I've had such lousy luck
with these, I'm thinking about picking up a different brand of CDR and
giving it a try.

With all this in mind...do any of the supported models hold more favor
with the experts than the others?  I saw one down at NCA (or Fry's?) a few
days ago for less than $400, it would be *COOL* if that thing worked as I
could easily justify the expense.  I would have to sweet-talk people if I
wanted another $900 drive.  Anyway, just wondering if there were any
opinions out there.  I'm beginning to think the HP is a piece of junk.

Thanks,

Brian