Date:      Sun, 07 Jul 1996 07:54:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jack <jacko@xtalwind.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anyone successfully installed 2.1-960627-SNAP over PPP?

> boot4.flp was the only one that would allow me to dial an ISP.  First I

Wait, hold it - can you be more exact?  What happened when you booted
boot.flp, for example?  How did the dialing sequence die?  Or are you
saying that the partition editor gave you the "partition editor
failed" in either case and it has nothing whatsoever to do with
dialing your ISP?  What *are* you saying, exactly? :-)

> immediately by a screen telling me that the partition editor failed.  :-{

What were your actions in the partition editor?

> Next I tried a 'custom' install (with N in the newfs column <g>) as I half
> expected that gave me a bunch of,
> /stand/cpio: cannot remove current xxxxxx  Operation not permitted
> on vty2.  I just hoped that that the things that didn't update would run
> well enough with the new kernel to be able to do a make world.

Hmmmm.  And this is running off the boot floppy, not multi-user, yes?
I've never seen anything like this one..

> "Custom" seems a bit of a misnomer, IMO, since you can't specify exactly
> which components to install.

Sure you can - it's the Distributions item.

> >From about 26 or 27% into 'Extracting bin into / ....' on, vty2 was
> inundated with "uid 0 on /: file system full" messages, but all went well

I assume you mounted a /usr somewhere? :-)

> I ftp'd the balance of the source only to find that
> .../dist/src/install.sh has a bit of a problem.  Each line ends with a ^M.
> Seems my system couldn't find /bin/sh^M :-}  After editing the script it
> worked fine and I was able to compile, install, and run a new kernel.

Hmmm.  Looks like this may have been incorrectly transfered by your
FTP client - it got erroneously "dosified" :-)

					Jordan