Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:53:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing IDT NICStAR device driver

As a NDSU Graduate Student, Yen Yen Lim (http://www.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu/~lim/
and mailto:ylim@netstar.com), made some changes to BPF/TCPDUMP to trace
incoming/outgoing ATM packets.

Since I had not chosen a ATM stack for my FreeBSD driver until she was nearly
defending her thesis, the code that parses and prints ATM PDUs is based
on LANE (which she tested on a Solaris machine using the Sun ATM cards).
Hopefully, I can add the IETF's IP over ATM information into the atmdump
in the near future.

Just before announcing the NICStAR driver, I also modified the ATM
pseudo-header for the BPF code. In doing so, I broke Yen Yen's atmdump
and I had placed the VPI and VCI order wrong in the BPF pseudo header;
this has been corrected in the copy of the driver that is available for ftp.
I am planning to put the AAL type into the BPF pseudo header soon for more
selective filter control.

Yen Yen's `atmdump' is at (expect future changes):

	ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu/pub/freebsd/atm/atm-bpf.tgz

Corrected NICStAR driver (expect future changes):

	ftp://ftp.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu/pub/freebsd/atm/nicstar.tgz

--mark.