Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 13:12:43 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cmott@srv.net (Charles Mott)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Book Club

As Charles Mott wrote:

> Well, I went out and bought these books.  My opinion is
> that Gilluwe's book is solid but Shanley's is a little low
> denisity (I might return it).  Any other recommendations?

There are few areas however where Gilluwe is completely off.  I
remember his lengthy discussion about the head load/unload stuff in
the floppy controller, when (with a few exceptions) the last drives
that actually did on-demand head-loading were the 8-inch floppies that
never made it into the typical PeeCee he's talking about.

(This stuff is still in proud letters there in the second edition.)

In general however, and taking some of his comments with the grain of
salt you need to take when reading the words of someone who's mainly
working in DOS 16-bit code, his book has proven to be a valuable
resource of information.

Btw., does anybody know what happened to TECH Help! by Flambeaux
Software?  This used to be my source of information about hardware
details before van Gilluwe, but my copy is rather ancient now and
doesn't cover most of the things one needs these days.  It's a DOS
program, but runs well enough in pcemu to have it readily available
even under FreeBSD.

--
cheers, J"org