Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 22:30:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cursing the sky (was: Commerical applications ...)

> Freebsd should have installation options for a straight forward simple 'I
> got a 14" vga monitor with a keyboard and mouse' setup. Let the user
> choose X setup, developers setup, users setup without the 1x10^65
> questions he has no idea or desire (at the moment) to know. They'll
> eventually want to know but if knowing Unix is a prerequisite (sp?) for
> even getting it up and running then many(vast majority) will fall by the
> wayside in utter frustration.

Hey, you write it and I'll take it! :-)

I never claimed to have the best install, or even to be the best
person to write one (I'm not, really, I hate installation tools! :-).
I simply did it because nobody else would or wanted to, and I hated
the thought of FreeBSD being without a reasonable installation.

Now, unfortunately, having done the first install, I've now got all
kinds of *ideas* about how the second one should look and how to avoid
the various pitfalls in the current installation's approach and yadda
yadda yadda, and so I talk about them all the time and How Good It's
Gonna Be When We Get There and I probably scare anyone with an idea
for a "rival implementation" away.  That's kind of too bad, if so,
because all I and the other install hackers *really* have at this
particular stage is the following motley assortment:

	o /usr/src/lib/libdisk for abstracting away the disk interface
	  (which is good - it makes the installer a lot easier).

	o /usr/src/release/sysinstall, which is an aging pile of C that,
	  like so many things in this category, was already obsolete before
	  it was finished.  Can you say "stop-gap technology" boys and
	  girls? :-)

	o A couple of TCL packages for putting up dialogs and talking
	  to libdisk.  This was to be the nucleus of the new "setup"
	  program to replace sysinstall but progress on that halted
	  when we all realized that libdialog and curses really sucked for
	  writing the "GUI" and we needed to go off and deal with that
	  part of the problem first.  I think that was about 3 or 4
	  months ago. :-)

Maybe I'll get my act together soon and get things moving on that
front again, but I'll say here and now that if someone ELSE has a
brilliant shining picture in their head and the will to execute it in
C, C++ and/or TCL (no PERL please - we haven't room on the boot floppy
for that approach!), I'd love to talk to them.  A fresh set of eyes on
FreeBSD's installation and configuration framework would be
interesting too.

Damn, a hand-off worked so well with Satoshi and the ports collection,
why can't I seem to do it again with the installation and configuration
tools? :-)

						Jordan