Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:18:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To UNIX or not to UNIX ;-). Was: PPP problems.

Joel Ray Holveck stands accused of saying:
> get Linux.  A GUI like this, to work, must be internally consistant,
> and provide a consistant interface.  I want to make sure that the
> ideas we get will work before I start coding.  After that, we can talk
> about the rest.

Just a point worth thinking over before you get too involved in the
details.  For a configuration interface to be taken seriously across
the range of applications that FreeBSD finds itself used for, a very
open and modular design is called for.  Calling it a "GUI" implies the
sacrificing of cross-system management, as well as the large number of
systems that don't have pixel-addressable displays.

> I don't have the skill... yet.  I can design and code fine, but don't
> know much about X.  Still, this can be remedied.  By the time the
> framework is designed and planned, I think I can build up a reasonable
> level of X skill to get started on that part.

The framework was designed and planned and reached no-criticism point
in about February or so 8) X skill is an almost irrelevant attribute
to posess; what you want to be thinking about is the association of
basic configurable elements ("parameters") into related groups, and the
logical operations that make sense on a group of parameters.

Take as an example a user-level activity such as "enable POP-3
services".  What fundamental actions do you have to perform to take
the system from its current (perhaps inconsistent) state to a state
consistent with "POP-3 services are enabled"?  Which parameters are
involved in the transaction?  What prerequisites are there?  Can you
leverage the "package installation" facility to install the POP-3
server software, or should you just return an error indicating that
the user should DIT?

> Terrific.  I would like to do this.  People, look over the goals that
> I wrote down.  Let's modify them, refine them.  Then, let me know if
> you want to help, and how.

If you have the opportunity, I strongly encourage you to dig up the
discussions that took place late last year and early this year.  You
will probably have to rummage a bit; I would start with the
discussions on the -config list, and backtrack through -hackers and
-chat (I believe you were involved last time as well).

If you haven't already, look at the configuration server-side prototype
at ftp://gsoft.com.au/pub/misc/juliet.tar.gz.  It embodies a number of
basic principles that need to be well-refined before things grow much
further.