Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 1997 21:58:15 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kc 1.1

> Wm Brian McCane stands accused of saying:
>
> > I am pleased to announce that a newer version of my kernel
> > configuration tool 'kc' is available for testing.  To get a copy of
> > it:
>
> Hmm, not bad.  If I may raise a few gripes though :
>
>  - Just running it, there's no indication of what to do.  You could get
>    around this with a "status bar" with a few quick details on it.
I had already planned TODO this, but have been fairly busy paying the bills
lately.  I will add a status bar in the next version.

>  - There's no separation between the various base-level config
>    directives.  It'd be good to have the options separate from the
>    controllers, separated from the pseudo-devices, etc.
This and the fourth comment are doable, but you lose the ability to easily
define dependancies in the configuration file.  I had thought of `sorting' the
different items within a dependancy block, but that is just a matter of
setting up the configuration file correctly to handle it.

>  - You could use more vertical space to avoid cutting off the names of
>    long options. (eg. keep option descriptions indented on the next line)
Actually, with the new help option we can get away with a small description,
or none at all.  To be honest, the comment is not going to do anybody any
good.  If a person knows enough to configure a kernel the comments are
probably not necessary, and if they don't know enough to do the configuration,
it's going to take a much larger description to actually baby sit them
through their difficulties.

>  - Rather than having everything based on your options.list file, read
>    LINT and just keep a private database of descriptions and criteria
>    for the things you know about.  (This is a WIBNI, not something that
>    I think is easily achieved.)
My software will use LINT if you name it option.list, unfortunately you then
have no dependancies or other assistance in your configuration.

> I think ultimately though, the biggest difficulty I have with 'kc' is
> that it doesn't actually remove itself much from the configuration
> file; for all the added convenience, essentially you are still
> manipulating the same information in the same format.
It is difficult to isolate configuration from configuration files.  I guess I
don't quite understand what you want here.  My goal was to allow a person to
easily select the items they wanted, perform a little "dumb" cross checking
(resource conflicts), and make the task a little less painful.  There are many
things which can be done to improve this program, I will be the first to
admit that (I would love to start over and do it as an O-O program, if I had
a couple of days to spare), but at least it's something.  I have seen many
high-minded conversations go on in this group, but they didn't have the right
tools, or no one had the time.  I wrote this program 2 or 3 years ago and
it was suffering a little bit-rot, so everytime the conversation came up,
I thought, "nyah, this time they will actually do it (but I will still
probably use mine 8-)."  When nothing ever came from all the talk, I finally
sent mine out as at least a stop gap, and maybe even as a platform we can
build on.

	brian