Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 1997 13:03:37 -0600
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, jhs@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, webmaster@FreeBSD.org, grog@FreeBSD.org, imp@village.org, msmith@gsoft.com.au, jgrosch@sirius.com, phk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/commercial.html

At 02:29 31-12-96 -0700, Ade Barkah wrote:

>Yes. However, Julian's page doesn't easily convert into commercial.html
>entries. As more people add their free-format entries to commercial.html,
>the advantage becomes less noticable. Anyway, we'll wait before adding
>the link until everyone can make their comments. =-)

I take this as a request for comments...

That being the case, I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.  I looked through the
web page when I first *ordered* the FreeBSD cd's and book from Walnut Creek.
If there had been a complete list of companies and individuals in the Austin
area I could have called, I'd have been a really happy guy.  All I found was
a single isp that never called me back.

If I had my wish, there would be a link to a zillion companies and individuals.
I'd like to see it indexed by:
* location (state/city)
* what kind of company they are (isp/consulting/whatever/individual)
* name.

I'd even like to see it put on the BSD-DOCS cd so for that period of time
after I loaded FreeBSD and *before* I got it working enough to get back on
the internet I would still have had access to the list.

Also, I'd want this list as complete as possible.  When I've seen lists like
this (I'm on one in the Pascal arena), they try to limit the people listed.
You know, only the big companies or the 'recognized' consulting companies,
etc.  I'd rather have all 100 people in the Austin area listed and make lots
of calls than only one or two that might not return my call/email.

>The above link is invalid. Please create a "public_html" directory
>at freefall and put grog.html there.
>
>In case you read this before www.freebsd.org rebuilds, you can preview
>the page at http://freebsd.hemi.com/commercial.html, but just imagine
>that link to Julian's page doesn't exist yet. =-)
>
>To everyone else... this is the time to send in your submissions. =-)

With the above taken into account, would you mind sending out a sample with
the 'perfect listing' so we can do the editing work instead of making you do it?

Thanks muchly...

Lee