Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Carl Harris <ceharris@cns.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp4.freebsd.org down

ftp4.freebsd.org (a.k.a. ftp.cslab.vt.edu) is down while I try to put
the pieces back together -- it suffered a major disk crash.  Hopefully,
it won't be down for more than a few days.

In attempting to rebuild our mirrors of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and others I
have once again come to the conclusion that 'mirror', the Perl script,
seems wholly unsuited to the task of maintaining *large* mirrors.  I
recall seeing a post to this list (or perhaps freebsd-announce) about
a new official mirror that mentioned a mirroring software package.
However, I can't seem to find that post anywhere.  Can someone bounce
a copy of that post to me?  Or better yet, offer suggestions of better
software to take care of this task -- I find it hard to believe that
ftp mirrors the world over are getting by with 'mirror'.

--
Carl Harris
Communication Systems Lead Engineer