Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:22:06 GMT
From:      bryan@yahoo-inc.com (bryan d. o'connor)
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   memory corruption?

i'm running 2.2-Stable (i've been staying pretty up to date with it)
on a Hitachi Visionbook Elite with 80M.

for the most part, it works flawlessly.  i spend the majority of my
time running X, xemacs, netscape, ssh, and ppp.

when i try to do a make world, though, it will fail at least 75%
of the time, all in different places.  it will complain about symbols
not being found or variables not being defined... the problem is
that the symbol or variable name is not correct..  for example --
gcc will complain:
    "300: foo_bar_wymbol not defined"
and at line 300 it will instead be "foo_bar_symbol".  or last night
ld complained:
    "ld: Ùb: No such file or directory"

i'm guessing that there some sort of memory corruption going on.
it only seems to happen when i'm doing a make world. (granted,
i haven't compiled much else on this system, though)

i also sometimes get these messages about wd0:
  fegmania /kernel: wd0: interrupt timeout:
  fegmania /kernel: wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
(but not necessarily all the times that "make world" dies)

could i have a bad drive that's causing me swap problems?
where do i begin to track down this problem?

(also... i try to check my swap with "pstat -T" and it tells me
  pstat: sysctl: KERN_VNODE: No such file or directory
did i miss some configuration needed for stable?)

thanks..

                                    ...bryan