Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 1997 08:07:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@lvn.com>
To:        rem-conf@es.net
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, karl@best.com
Subject:   New multicast session browser available for testing

Happy New Year.

I'm pleased to announce the availability (for 'alpha testing') of
"multikit": a new multicast session browser.

As a special case, multikit implements a SDP browser; this can be used as an
alternative to "sdr".  (This is analogous to the way that Web browsers can
also be used as FTP clients.)  However, multikit also extends the SDP/SAP
model in several ways - most notably:
        - directories are 'first-class' objects, and can be 'announced'
just like any other session
        - sessions can have arbitrary attributes (not just the fixed set of
attributes that were defined for SDP)
        - SDP's session bundling mechanism is generalized: Any
arbitrary collection of sessions can be combined and announced as a single
'bundle'
        - a variety of 'announcement' protocols are possible.  Different
directories can use different protocols to share information.  (The
protocol for each directory is specified as an attribute of the directory.)

multikit provides an extensible framework that can be used for
experimenting with new multicast-based protocols (e.g., with differing
degrees of reliability).  It will, I hope, help to motivate new uses for the
MBone, beyond the traditional audio/video applications.

multikit is currently available for two platforms: Windows 95 (and NT), and
FreeBSD Unix.  (I can port the system to other versions of Unix if anyone
wants to give me a guest account.)

Note: This is free software, but please be aware that the current version
is 'alpha' software.  (However, I anticipate that future versions of
multikit will also remain free for experimental and non-commercial use.)

For more information about multikit - including downloading instructions -
please see:
    http://www.lvn.com/multikit

        Ross.