Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:44:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with Soundblaster card

I had precisely this problem. IT is that your sound card conflicts with your
printer on irq 7. I solved it by moving my soundcard to a different IRQ, reboot
and bingo. Test it w/o rebuilding your kernel if you like by booting with
-c and moving it that way.

PS - your printer will work better after that too.
PPS even if you don't have a printer, the printer port is on irq 7.
I (probably like you) assumed t was no problem as DOS lets you user irq 7
for both. The catch is that DOS uses polled mode and basically ignores the
printer so you can get away with it. FreeBSD doesn't do this (even if
you set your printer to polled mode explicitly!)

Peter

Incidentally - since the LINT file puts a sound card on 7 it gets confusinng
for a newbie - howabout moving it in LINT and putting in a comment NOT to use
7?