Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 1997 10:48:36 +0100
From:      Alan W Black <awb@cstr.ed.ac.uk>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Oregon's Speech Toolkit?

From: Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>

> Tnks I don't have any problems with Festival .
>
> Care to ask your friend to send us the patches to make Festival work
> with CSLU?
> My understanding is that Festival uses scheme for its command interface
> and that CSLU uses tcl/tk .
>
> 	Tnks,
> 	Amancio
>
> >From The Desk Of Richard Tobin :
> > >  |Has anyone ported the University of Oregon's Speech Toolkit?
> >
> > > Is that "festival" you're talking about?
> >
> > No, Festival is from Edinburgh University.  It's largely developed
> > under FreeBSD so it's not likely to need porting.  I share a house with
> > the main developer (Alan Black) so I can pass on any problems...
> >
> > -- Richard

[sorry coming in on this late so I may be repeating thing already said]

The OGI toolkit 1.9 already distributes a version of the Festival
Speech Synthesizer which works with their toolkit.  Its not the
default synthesizer but may be used with the GUI dialog builder using
the command fcslurp rather than cslurp (you must start a festival
server first -- see the information in their festival distribution).
Note their distribution includes an American English voice as the
default speaker.  This includes an interface between the scheme
interpreter and tcl and the reverse (just naively through strings)
which is now also included in our latest version.

I should add I've tried (so far unsuccessfully) to get the OGI toolkit
to work under FreeBSD (2.2.1).  It basically has many SYSV'isms in it
making it difficult to get to work under SunOS4 too.  Most of the real
problems are little problems in config files rather than the code
(such problems are difficult to trace amongst much autogeneration of
files).  Their audio system is rather limited too (it only really works
on older Suns).  I was visiting their group last week and they have
redesigned their audio io to make it easier to support new machines
and integrated a number of patches that should make it easier to port
in their next version (due in August).  OGI have been concentrating on
a Windows port of the toolkit (and Festival) as it seems that that
sort of thing is necessary in that part of the country :-).  I have
almost convinced them that they should be aiming at the free Unixes
(Linux and FreeBSD) because of the number of skilled computer users
who would definitely add to their tools, which is really why they are
distributing it.  The toolkit when running (we use it here under
Solaris) is very easy to use and you can build telephone type dialog
system with simple recognition and synthesis in a few minutes.

The Festival Speech Synthesis System although included in the OGI
toolkit is an independent system developed at Edinburgh. Festival
1.1.1 (http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival.html) is available
for non-commercial use for free in source form and runs on any Unix
system I can get my hands on (Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux, HPUX, OSF
(Alphas), SGI Irix and SunOS).  We will be releasing the next version
in August with many imporvements and an American English voice for
those of you who don't understand British English :-).

Alan

Alan W Black                            email: awb@cstr.ed.ac.uk
Centre for Speech Technology Research   http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/~awb
University of Edinburgh                 tel:   (44) 131 650 2787
80 South Bridge, Edinburgh, UK          fax:   (44) 131 650 6351