Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:54:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        freebsd-platforms@freebsd.org (FreeBSD non-Intel Platforms)
Subject:   FreeBSD on non-PCI based Alpha machines?

Hi

Having just obtained a Jensen Alpha mainboard (the first AlphaPC aka
DEC2000/300 aka AXP150) which is EISA based I wonder if the potential
port of FreeBSD will support non-PCI AXP boards.

There are quite a number of PCI-mixed-with-EISA Alpha machines so there
might be some interest. It seems FreeBSD can handle the old 'Bird'
machines (Sandpiper, Flamingo) which are all Turbochannel boxes. TC is
not too interesting to me of course ;-)

The Jensen has the Intel EBC/ISP EISA chipset, on which FreeBSD
runs quite happily with a Intel CPU. Standard SCSI controller is
a Adaptec 1742A, the video is a Compaq Qvision which at least
in text mode works with FreeBSD-Intel.

There are some oddities with the Jensen design however, I'll
just have to read the 5" stack of docs I got with it.

Wilko

[ In case you're wondering why I got the Jensen: it was a swap for
a laserprinter, a laserprinter that cost me the equivalent of US$ 12
So the price was unbeatable, especially it even came with the odd-ball
Compaq Qvision VGA board the Jensen is blessed (ugh) with ]