Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 00:22:04 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@cs.berkeley.edu>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: html files [Re: texinfo changes ready]

>  * I agree, but would lobby for /usr/local/share/doc/html rather
>  * than /usr/local/share/html.
>
> Yeah, that's probably better.
>
> By the way, the subdirectory should be package name minus version
> number, just like /usr/local/share/doc.
>
>  * If each package directory contains an index.html file, it is a
>  * simple matter to automagically collect the <title> elements to
>  * build a master index.html.
>
> Don't forget you need to delete it from pkg_delete too.  Maybe someone
> can look at install-info and see if we can modify it to understand
> html files?

Having read the install-info source pretty carefully, I'd say no.
The info syntax is far too different from HTML for this program
to be useful.  On the other hand, I'm told parsing HTML isn't too
difficult (I don't know HTML well enough to say for sure, but you
probably wouldn't have to accept the entire language to accomplish
what you guys are after).

-josh