Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 10:13:13 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        krw@tcn.net (Kenneth R. Westerback)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2R xpm-3.4j port == ld: -lgnumalloc: no match

As Kenneth R. Westerback wrote:

> When I tried to install fvwm2 from the ports collection I got with 2.2R it
> failed while trying to install xpm. The error message at the end was
>
> rm -f sxpm
> cc -o sxpm -m486 -O2 -L/usr/X11R6/lib sxpm.o -L../lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -lXpm -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXent -lX11 -lgnumalloc
> ld: -lgnumalloc: no match

It should not ever attempt to link against gnumalloc.  I think this
problem is caused by a wrong FreeBSD version indication in the Imake
template files: they are still at FreeBSD 2.1.5 and thus believe
gnumalloc would be required (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/FreeBSD.cf).

(gnumalloc has been abandoned by the time phkmalloc got into
operation, it was only there since it used to be much better than the
old and rotten BSD malloc.)

--
cheers, J"org