Date:      20 Apr 1997 15:53:39 +0900
From:      Choi Jun Ho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
To:        Makoto MATSUSHITA (=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCJF4kRCQ3JD8kXiQzJEgbKEI=?=) <matusita@ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3333: new port of korean/fvwm95

Makoto MATSUSHITA (=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCJF4kRCQ3JD8kXiQzJEgbKEI=?=) <matusita@ics.es.osaka-u.ac.jp> writes:

> junker> We are currently thinking of l10n and i18n... but, in case of
> junker> fvwm95 and fvwm-2, there is some point that cannot resolve in
> junker> traditional X11 i18n method(using johab fonts, etc.).
>
> I18n-feature implementation of X11R6 is not suitable for Korean language ?
> i.e., ports/x11/fvwm2 does not work well in Korean locale ?

'Johab' fonts are not standard encoding like KSC5601.1987-[01]. To use
these fonts, we must change text display routine in each program. It
is used primarily in hanterm, and now in many other programs(hanemacs,
fvwm2, etc). Johab font is pretty and easy-to-read, and have many
faces. Some localization without 'i18n' feature need to making
many X-related hangul program. We are suffering with lack of suitable
Korean fonts available freely on the net(especially KSC5601.1987-0, a
standard(i18n) way to display korean), so johab font is a good
alternative. To use it, we must do some hack each program, but it
violates i18n. But in the view of l10n, it is good way to use easily
for korean users without knowledge of i18n or locale. As long as I
know, Japanese may be same to us.

Of course, fvwm95 and afterstep port, original patch done by me, don't
support johab fonts now(but near future). In case of them, I won't
say these ports are necessary. But many korean know them, and use,
and want to use them in FreeBSD also. Few people know about i18n of
{fvwm2,afterstep,fvwm95}. So I ported.

> junker> I know many japanese ports, doing i18n of {afterstep,fvwm2},
>
> Don't miss a patch for fvwm95 :-)

As long as I know, i18n version of afterstep is known to break titlebar,
in ko locale. (I heard, and I didn't tried it) I didn't know
about fvwm95 i18n. Where is it?

--
Judgement Uninfected Naked Kind & Executive Ranger    - J U N K E R