Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:45:12 +0000
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XEmacs-19.15 port is bad

Gary Kline writes:

>After some weeks of using the ports version of xemacs-19.15p7 and
>trying to get it to work in vi|viper-mode, I gave up and installed the
>v20.2 release.  With identical _dot_ files,  this version does work.  So
>I've got my vi that I've been using forever, and the best of the emacs
>suite.
>
>I'd suggest that we up-rev to v20.X and perhaps let anyone else who
>has been head-banging that our port doesn't work completely.
>
>The cause might be that the viper code is not in the load-path, but this
>is merely a ballpark guess.  I didn't dig into the code...
>
>A note of thanks to Gary Jennejohn on the Eastern side of the pond for
>confirming this and saving me from surrender!
>
>gary kline
>
>PS:   If this should be a gnats-pr,  would someone clue me in on the
>syntax so that I can issue a bug report?  Like to save others from
>this hassle.   -gdk

Interesting is that viper mode works just fine with xemacs-19.15p7
when invoked as "xemacs -nw". Go figure. I tried versions of xemacs
with and without MOTIF (actually lesstif). Both fail when xemacs is
invoked as an X app.

It would probably be best to bring this to the attention of the xemacs
developers. See comp.emacs.xemacs. I don't think the port maintainer is
in a position to fix this himself.

However, you might want to send-pr the suggestion to update the port to 20.X,
although 20.X isn't officially released AFAIK.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - gjennejohn@frt.dec.com