Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 01:59:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      bgingery@gtcs.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/4857: TkRat (Ratatosk) GUI E-Mail UA port submitted

>Number:         4857
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Port submitted: TkRat v1.05
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	Developed on Linux, port to FreeBSD done under v2.2.1
	with Tcl7.6/Tk4.2  "tkrat.exec" is a special-purpose
	"wish".

	TkRat is a GUI E-Mail User Agent built with a pre-scripted
	Tcl/Tk front-end, and C back-end.  The backend consists
	mostly of Pine's c-client library, plus a little glue and
	local priority handling code.

	It uses IMAP4.1 and POP3 for remote mailboxes and both mbox
	and mh style local mailboxes, with free interchange among all
	but *to* remote POP3's (of course).  Relatively full MIME.
	It also attempts to segregate handling of DSN delivery notices
	and bounces, optionally requests DSN, and provides some local
	facilities for auto-expiring of messages.  Inlines GIF's and
	decodes QP and Base64.  Recognizes and handles both multipart/
	mixed and multipart/alternate.  All others multiparts are
	treated as mixed.

	It has integrated PGP support, recognizing incoming messages
	both in PGP-MIME format and traditional (pasted) format.  While
	the PGP interface is not extensive, it is sufficient to handle
	background use of v2.6.x and 2.7.1 PGP binaries.

	The port required minimal patching, just a couple of Makefile.in
	patches and one place that "struct tm" varies from that presumed
	by the original code.  Also to specify /var/mail as the default
	local incoming E-Mail directory.  This is overrideable by user,
	anyways.

	UI is provided with Swedish, English and Italian content.  Added
	languages are done by the mere creation of a tcl script giving
	equivalences in a tcl hash(array).   The original is known to
	work when built with Tcl7.5/Tk4.1, Tcl7.6/Tk4.2 and Tcl/Tk8.0.
	This port has been built with the solid 7.6/4.2 from the ports
	collection, and that is set as a dependency in the port Makefile.

	Misc features: delayed compose, mailbox (including remote)
	"watcher" Highlighted URLs with auto-launch of configured browser.
	Browse mode.  Preferences panel PLUS (tcl) extension scripting by
	user.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Download the port and "make install".  Note that "fetch" may
	fail from primary sites for "no login".  NcFTP works to fetch
	distribution file (1.2 megs) from commandline OR any ftp client
	that sends a user@host.dom for anonymous logins.

>Fix:

	This port replaces, adds features, and deletes bugs found in the
	previously submitted TkRat v1.0.3.  It also ignores defective
	imap-uw port, since that distribution is made part of the tkrat
	distribution, anyways.  Ultimately, I'd like to just dynamically
	link to a LIB_DEPENDS of imap-uw's C-Client lib, but that port
	needs fixing first.  This port does NOT install a c-client.a,
	nor statically linked pop2d/pop3d/imapd, although it does build
	them.  This port does NOT build a libc-client.so.2.1, nor use
	one if already installed from imap-uw.  For some currently un-
	known reason, that interferes with the by-user scripting.