Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 02:03:19 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Death Ping & 2.1.7.1R

At 12:31 AM 4/13/97 +0200, Robert Eckardt wrote:
>> Interestingly the CERT says that 2.1.6 and -current were not vulnerable,
>> but the  Ping o' Death page states 2.1.0 and up.
>
>Where does it say so ?
>
>The URL above says:
>
>4.4. Safe operating systems
>
>           Operating system                         Version Tested
> Solaris (Sparc)                                    2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.5.1
> MVS Mainframe with TCP/IP stack from Interlink     3.1, 4.1
> MVS Mainframe with TCP/IP stack from IBM           3.1, 3.2
> FreeBSD                                            2.0 and above

Guess I should try not to do all my list mail at the end of the day.
Wanted to say 2.0, but I first ran 2.1.0 so... tell me to go sleep next
time.  8-)

The best bet is to try a large ping and see what happens.  One machine here
that was on 2.1.7 would most likely have died, as it has some problems with
portmap after an upgrade, which is why I wiped it clean for 2.2.1.

Can't wait till we have a network card in our HP4.  ;-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990