Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 01:53:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD SCSI list <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Ideas on CD changers sought

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > I'm assuming I should combine it with the previous patch, correct?
>
> Not really.  The ``add LUN to second command byte'' patch is gone,
> your counter-example proved that it's useless.

umm...  see below...

> But: this patch will only have any effect in your system as long as
> you keep the CD-ROM quirk record out that prevents multiple LUNs from
> being probed.

well... thanks to the brain not working the first time I booted the kernel
the cdrom drives probed fine... due to faulty logic the entry was being
included...  after I fixed the bug...  I rebooted... but now it responds
on ALL luns...  and no unknown devices are created...

I will try both your first and second patch together (w/o the quirk
entry)...  and see if that produces the desired results... :)

> If this patch works (i.e., i haven't done any trivial mistake), it
> doesn't endanger any production-level environment.  The expected
> result is that the not really existant LUNs on your Chinon drives pop
> up as `uk0' through `uk12' or something like this, but no longer as
> bogus `sd' devices.  `uk' devices are fairly harmless, almost the only
> thing you could do with them is sending direct SCSI commands.

actually.. if you think about this... it could be actually very useful...
as then you have acess to the additional luns on a device... don't know
what you would do with 'em... but you have 'em :)... ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)