Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 00:46:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, crb@Glue.umd.edu, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NCR SCSI controllers

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Jin Guojun[ITG] wrote:

> }  Not a problem.  I used 11 disks on a 3940UW, and was able to max out
> }both channels.  With drives being able to sustain 7MB writing, this is
> }getting easier to do.
>
> When you say to sustain 7MB writing, do you mean using a single disk? I guess.

  Of course.

> Because I can get 15MB writing over three disks via single NCR SCSI channel

  That isn't very fast.

> (just wide, not ultra-wide). So, 3940UW supposes to have 30MB in writing and
> 35MB in reading. This will be seen in NCR-875 when the driver is ready (S.E).

  Huh?  3940UW performance is related to the drive performance.  If the
drives are willing, you will be able max the channels.  In fact, I was
able to do this on a 3940UW (actually worked out 39MB/s).

  I have no idea where this 30MB writing, and 35MB reading stuff is coming
from.  It is misinformation.  I believe it was just one person's results
on one array.  Given the right disk array, you will easily max the both
channels of a 3940UW.

> Otherwise, the 7MB writing rate sounds not right.
>
> -Jin

Tom