Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 97 14:27:48 -0400
From:      Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, "Colman Reilly" <careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie>
Cc:        "Adam Shostack" <adam@homeport.org>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?

>> I also spent a couple of hours fighting with Alta Vista looking for relevant
>> documents and didn't find very much. Any other suggestions?
>
>/usr/src? :)
>
>Seriously, I doubt you'll find that anyone has sat down and documented
>this aspect of the system specifically.  If you want to study the
>security implementation in detail, the sources remain the first and
>foremost resource.  In fact, they probably represent the ONLY resource.
>Good luck!

I will note that there has been off and on talk of a C2 certified FreeBSD
implementation, which would require documentation.

I think it's important to understand that few OSes (outside the "big
boys" like VMS, MVS, VM, GUARDIAN, etc.) have documented formal security
polcies.  Mostly it's just whatever a programmer feels like.

Christopher