Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 10:05:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonz@netrail.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   setuid shutdown?

I just realized that my version of freebsd 2.2.2 installs with a
set-uid-root shutdown command allowing anybody who wants to to shutdown or
reboot the server.  Obviously I removed the bits, and got rid of the
problem, but you might all want to check that.  I currently have sudo
installed, and am able to unsuid quite a few other programs and run them
under sudo (which logs nicely what my employees are doing too).

Also: I noticed that 2.2.2 installs /usr/bin/perl (4) and a setuid root
version of it as well (found this out when I noticed that adduser and
rmuser are perl and not c).  If I'm not mistaken 4 has some major security
problems with setuid perl, no?

Jonathan A. Zdziarski                                NetRail Incorporated
Server Engineering Manager                    230 Peachtree St. Suite 500
jonz@netrail.net                                        Atlanta, GA 30303
http://www.netrail.net                                    (888) - NETRAIL