Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:23:41 -0400
From:      Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <thelab@nmarcom.com>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-etc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc make.conf

[moved out of cvs-all to questions & security, which are likely more
relevant to discussions.]

At 07:13 -0400 1997/09/30, Mikael Karpberg wrote:
>According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
>> > Could this be set by sysinstall?
>> Eek, no.  There are too many variables there already - it needs to be
>> settable, yes, but through a "ports configuration" submenu in the new
>> setup(1) utility which is coming Real Soon Now, yup! ;-)
>
>Speaking of which...
>
>I hope the new utilities wont be as dump about it. When you install the
>system you should be able to choose any site to get it from, and choose
>any distribution, including DES, etc. When you then "commit", a check is
>done to see if you have chosen DES, or such distributions, and the selected
>site is not in the known free world (i.e. it's an unknown site ("other URL"),
>or a US site). If that's the case, sysinstall will have to throw a requester
>up and ask "Are you currently within US?" (or something), and if the answer
>is "no", always try and fetch the "Dangerous parts" (DES, etc) from a list
>of sites known to be "pure" (internat.freebsd.org, etc). The rest of the
>dists selected should be fetched from the selected site. Possibly you have
>to give the user a choise of using his "other site" for DES too, if he's
>not on the net, or on a very slow line, but has a local server which has
>a mirror or some ftp site.
>
>The anwer on the requester should probably go into make.conf automatically
>too, though. That shouldn't be hard to do.
>
>  /Mikael
Ok, yet another thread on this...

I'm somewhat confused about tis whole USA_RESIDENT thing. The more i
reaseach, the more i seem to wonder if Canadian Residents can also use the
USA_RESIDENT stuff without feeling guilty about it or having the Men in
Black show up on their doorstep. Is it ok for me to generally consider
USA_RESIDENT to mean US_OR_CA_RESIDENT? Or is it a package-by-package thing?

The whole lifting of export restrictions between the US and Canada seems to
be an odd, poorly documented thing, which is annoying since several of the
US cryptology routines were developed by canadians in the first place. :(

-Mit