Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:53:31 -0600
From:      Greg Skafte <skafte@worldgate.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

Quoting Aleph One (aleph1@dfw.net)
On Subject: Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?
Date: Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 12:54:34PM -0500

> On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Brian Beattie wrote:
>
> > Most of the people involved in INFOSEC are absolutely "head over heals" in
> > love with ACL's, big ACL's.  I am not convinced of their utility in the
> > real world, especially with suplementary groups.  If I were designing a B1
> > UNIX system I would not change the current access control design.
>
> The problem with ACL's is not it's nature but the fact that if you
> implement them under UNIX nothing knows how to candle them. For example
> you would need to modify ls to show them, you need to modify cp to copy
> them, you programs need to be aware of ACL directory inheritance, etc.
> This is not a problem when you are designing a new OS and people will have
> to learn the new API (e.g. Windows NT) but if you are trying to maintain
> compatibility with other unixes or try to port random programs it becomes
> a pain. HP-UX has had ACLs for quite some time now but not one uses them
> just because of this.

	back in a former life when I worked for a company that had
	an HP, I setup extended ACLs all the time, it was very handy
	for controlling access to things like web directories. (ie
	yes everyone was part of group http, but then with the extended
	ACL I could force things to g=rwx, but still control who could
	read or write to a specific tree) ACL take a some extra time
	and effort but in the long term I found them wonderful...

--
Email: skafte@worldgate.com	  Voice: +403 413 1910	  Fax: +403 421 4929
   #575 Sun Life Place * 10123 99 Street * Edmonton, AB * Canada * T5J 3H1
When things can't get any worse, they simplify themselves by getting a whole
lot worse then complicated. A complete and utter disaster is the simplest
thing in the world; it's preventing one that's complex.       (Janet Morris)