Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 01:41:32 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan ATX 1668

Hi,

> I've got one of these on order, and I understand that there's a
> it matters which BIOS (AMI/Award) one is using.  If it's BIOS, what's
> the change that Tyan will have the BIOS manufacturers fix it if we all
> complain?
about 0.1%  it can be worked around, its just a pain in the neck...

---
> Also, this will be my first FreeBSD system (currently running
> NetBSD-Amiga), and I was wondering if I should start out running
> FreeBSD 2.2.1, and start looking at FreeBSD-SMP after I've gotten my
> basic setup done, or take the plunge and go start to FreeBSD-3.0+SMP
> kernel?  Would I run 3.0 software + SMP kernel, or is there a complete
> SMP tree?

I suggest starting with the 3.0-970209-SNAP + SMP kernel tree.  this is the
point just the 2 were last merged, as is reasomnably stable.  I have this
combination running on both a dual P5 and dual P6.

for details on installing see:

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html

--
Steve Passe	| powered by