Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 10:37:39 -0300
From:      "Helio Coelho Jr." <helio@compuland.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <helio@compuland.com.br>
Subject:   help in two aspects

Hi:

      I'm running current in a Asus Dual Pentium Pro Motherboard. It has
128mb memory, SMC ethernet, adaptec 2940AU and a quantum scsi HD.

I wanted to make a full copy of the HD, so I added another Adaptec 2940UW
and a Seagate Barracuda of 4gb. My idea was to exchange the disks, and
in that way would be faster. I booted the machine, I've mounted the disk,
copied all the stuff needed. At that moment, I shutdown the machine,
removed
the quantum and the 2940AU and restarted it again. It booted, just fine.
When it reaches the 'Login: ' prompt, I got a panic, but the messages were
so fast that I could not read !! It seems that the disk loose sync... I
lost
everything in this disk. I've returned the old components and everythyng
was
fine again. Just to be sure, I've repeated the experience, but now, I
copied
the disk to the the seagate but removed the big disk and it's 2940UW. I've
rebooted, and I got the same panic again ! But now with the adaptec2940au
and the quantum disk ! I turned off and on the machine again: this time it
came
 back ! :) Fortunately this time I did not loose the contents of the
disk...
Anyone has an idea what happens or were I goofed ? :)

Another thing I noticed: when I issue a 'shutdown now' and a 'halt' ,
sometimes I got
a 'panic - shutdown not on CPU#0 - automatic reboot in 15 seconds' ... How
can I avoid
that ? How can I be sure that I'm on CPU#0 when halting ? ps -x ? :)

Thanks a lot !
Regards,
Helio.