Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 17:04:21 +0100
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: major timer/APIC code changes.

Steve Passe writes:

>looks like I need to fall back and punt...  For now, anyone seeing a panic
>message like:
>
>8254 redirect via APIC pin0 impossible!
>
>should comment out i386/include/smptests.h:
>
>#define APIC_PIN0_TIMER
>
>Please don't do this unless you encounter this panic, then try it and report
>results.  Include your mptable (-dmesg not necessary).

I've been running some tests with recent and week-or-so-old
3.0-current SMP kernels (ie: before and after the major changes)

Guess I must be lucky, but I haven't had a single kernel panic,
even under extreme IO conditions (simulated high-intensity news
reading machines), with lots of local disk, network, and NFS
traffic.

The newer kernels also feel somewhat more responsive under load,
though as yet I don't have any quantitive data to back this
assertion up.

  Machine #1:	dual-P133 on a Micronics motherboard
		(identified as 430NX EISA/PCI), 128Mb RAM,
		3COM 3C579 EISA interface, mixture of EIDE
		and SCSI disk (Adaptec 2940)

  Machine #2:	dual-PPro200 on an Intel PR440FX motherboard
		512Mb RAM, DEC DE500XA 100baseT and DEC DEFPA
		FDDI interfaces, fast-wide Seagate disks on an
		Adaptec 3940.

So, for me at least, it's a big thumbs-up to the new code :)

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet Ltd.