Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:59:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      david.myers@Corp.Sun.COM
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: good time to update SMP src

> So I'm going to call it fixed.  I commited this fix, the SMP src is
> as stable as its going to get for awhile.  I have plans for new lock
> code that I will start to commit later this week, expect the usual
> breakage.
>
> In other words, come and get it while the getting is good!

I'd like to put in a request for more notifications like this one.  I'm
not a developer, just a user of an SMP system, and I'd like to know
which of the SMP releases is fairly stable.  Keeping track of the
discussions on this list takes a lot of work, and are really over my
head anyway.  I'm willing to tolerate experimental code (obviously),
and I'm willing to update my source tree every month or so, but I don't
need to stay that current.

Maybe Steve you could send out a note when we've reached a branching
point in the source, saying -- "those of you who want a fairly stable
reference release, check out 3.0-9708xx-SNAP.  Revisions after this date
are likely to be buggy again." ???

I understand there's no guarantees and all, but it would sure help me
track down the right SMP code base when I visit current.freebsd.org.

-David

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^

David Myers                                                  Sun Microsystems
Area Java Technologist                               david.myers@corp.sun.com
Strategic Sales Area                                    (415) 614-6907 x46907

                  "Employ draconian measures as appropriate..."
                                    -- from the Java Security Whitepaper

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^