Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:40:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      svincent <svincent@scf-fs.usc.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Pavlin <pavlin@catarina>
Subject:   volunteers for SMP coding

Hello,

Pavlin Radoslavov and I (S Vincent) are graduate students at USC, LA.
We have a distributed systems project to do, and were serious and eager
to do some coding for a multiprocessor system.

We looked at the to-do list and were interested in these two things.

 Additional run queue management.

 *     run queue needs restructuring so that there is a per-cpu queue of
       runnable tasks. This means that a cpu could access it's own run
       queue outside the kernel lock.

 *     make shared address spaces work.. The VM system needs to know when
       the page tables of a "!= curproc" process might be in use on
       another cpu (ie: check all other SMPcurproc[]'s). When modifying
       the current process it needs to check the vmspace reference count
       and do the appropriate IPI's to the other cpu. Locking is a problem
       here.

We'd be grateful to have any advice - while we get done with
installing, tests and such things.

S Vincent
Pavlin Radoslavov