Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:50:54 -0500
From:      Richard Todd <rmtodd@servalan.servalan.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        danny@wildstar.net
Subject:   problem with 3C509 ethernet cards in machine running FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE

We're having a problem with a Pentium 166 machine with two 3Com Ethernet
cards in it running FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE and acting as an NFS server.
The problem is that every so often one of the Ethernet cards (no, not always
the same one) stops transmitting, and the kernel starts complaining about
'nfs send error 55' (no buffer space available).  ifconfiging the interface
down and back up causes it to start sending again.  Any ideas on what might
be the problem?  As near as I can tell from the CVS logs, the 2.2 and
-current Ethernet drivers don't appear to be noticably different from what's
in 2.1.7, but at this point I'm certainly willing to try a 2.2.x kernel
to try and fix this problem, as it's getting fairly annoying.  If anyone has
any other suggestions as to how to track down this problem, I'd like to
hear them.