Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 00:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: old "make reinstall" bug

On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >  "make reinstall" fails in 2.2-stable when trying to install klm_prot.h,
> >because it does not exist.
> >
> >  klm_prot.h is generated from klm_prot.x, and put into
> >/usr/obj/include/rpcsvc, but the Makefile is looking for it in
> >/usr/src/include/rpcsvc, so the install fails.
>
> The Makefile should look for it first in the current (obj)
> directory, which should be /usr/obj/usr/src/include/rpcsvc, not
> /usr/obj/usr/include/rpcsvc.  This works in -current, and 2.2 doesn't
> seem to be significantly different for "make reinstall".
>
> Bruce

  You are right, the obj directoy IS /usr/obj/usr/src/include/rpcsvc.
Where ever I said "/usr/obj/include/rpcsvc", I should have just said
"object directory"

  However, it just doesn't work.  "make reinstall" has never worked
properly in 2.2, as far as I know.  Every time I've done a "make
world", then a "make reinstall" on another server, I need to
butched up the source tree to get "make reinstall" to complete.  Perhaps
it because I use a separte object tree, and everyone else build the object
files in the source tree?

  I also need to do a "make objlink" to build the obj symlinks into the
object tree into order to get "make reinstall" to start installing the
libs.

Tom