Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:55:28 -1000
From:      "Arthur W. Neilson III" <aneilson@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP Dynamic IP?

I just brought FreeBSD 2.2.2 up on a second drive on my
self-built AMD K6-200Mhz based system and can't figure
out how to gen my Internet LAN connection going.  I told
sysinstall about my 3COM 3C509 ISA card and ep0 seems to
be fine.  I configured my subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and
put in my gateway server address as well as the nameserver
address.  Unfortunately my IP address will change whenever
my license gets renewed.  This happens if my cable modem
gets powered off or my cable company has problems.  My cable
co expects me to use DHCP to dynamically obtain my IP address
at startup time.  How do I do this in FreeBSD???  Also, even
though I hardcoded my IP address and put in the address of the
nameserver I cannot reference any sites by name, only address.
ping works great if I specify the address of a site but I get
'host unknown' if I specify by name.  What have I got setup
wrong???????

    __
   /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.
  /--/ __  /    Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories,
 /  (_/ (_<__   Instead of theories to suit facts.
                      -- Sherlock Holmes, "A Scandal in Bohemia"
 Arthur W. Neilson III
 Bank of Hawaii Tech support
 aneilson@usa.net