Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 05:09:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        smiledon@intop.net (Charlie Schloemer)
Cc:        chuck@ucsd.edu, jkb@best.com, danny@AlphaZed.com, wes@softweyr.com, grog@lemis.com, kbyanc@freedomnet.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tell Micro$oft what you think

Charlie Schloemer wrote:
> I have to concur on this one, too.  Love or hate Microsoft, they're
> largely responsible for the the low cost of PC hardware, making their
> software accessible and easy for home users.  I don't care to ever USE any
> of this software in my lifetime, but I enjoy being able to build a killer
> system for $1500.  FWIW.  :-)

	Gates often repeats that line....or elaborates on it saying
	that if cars had developed and car prices fallen as fast
	as pcs you could drive from maine to san jose on a single
	tank of gas in less than an hour......detroit responds by
	saying that is true, if you made it.....the car would
	explode killing all passengers before you reched the
	mississippi.

	the fall in PC prices has nothing to do with MS, neither
	can one atribute increase in performance to MS.  rather
	intel and and computer makers have been busting their chops
	trying to keep the hardware improvements from being swamped
	by MS bloatware.

	as users of FreeBSD, we should be deeply grateful to these
	hardware companies....we get all the improvement without
	suffering any of the MS induced sludge-ware.

	attribute the speedup to the "market forces" if you will,
	but dont credit MS with others work.
jmb