Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:42:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
To:        jb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Birrell)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bootstrapping FreeBSD/Alpha

Hi John and FreeBSD/Alpha porters,

I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and try to help this effort along.  I have
an AlphaStation 255 running NetBSD 1.3.2 now, and it's NFS-mounting
/usr/src from a FreeBSD -current box (cvsup and checkout as of this
morning).

John in one of his messages said:

> You'll know that when the build
> bombs.  And you'll need to tell me how it bombs to prove that you have
> got that far (and are serious about working on this). 8-)

So I'm taking you up on it.  ;-)  Here's my first error:

------cut here------
cc -pipe -D__NETBSD_SYSCALLS -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make   -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -static -o make arch.o buf.o compat.o cond.o dir.o for.o hash.o job.o main.o make.o parse.o str.o suff.o targ.o var.o util.o lstAppend.o lstAtEnd.o lstAtFront.o lstClose.o lstConcat.o lstDatum.o lstDeQueue.o lstDestroy.o lstDupl.o lstEnQueue.o lstFind.o lstFindFrom.o lstFirst.o lstForEach.o lstForEachFrom.o lstInit.o lstInsert.o lstIsAtEnd.o lstIsEmpty.o lstLast.o lstMember.o lstNext.o lstOpen.o lstRemove.o lstReplace.o lstSucc.o
main.o: In function `MainParseArgs':
main.c(.text+0x19c): undefined reference to `asprintf'
main.c(.text+0x1a0): undefined reference to `asprintf'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
------cut here------

Now ordinarily, I wouldn't post for help this early, but you also
mentioned:

> The build of libc needs a temporary patch for vfprintf.c that I don't
> want to commit.

...and I wanted to make sure this wasn't related.  As a side note, where
can I get that patch (and other uncommitted things that occur to you)?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

--
Brent J. Nordquist / bjn@visi.com
W: +1 612 905-7806